My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Cabrillo Highway


The weather here in the Bay Area has been unseasonably warm these last few days, and from experience I can tell you that it's the ideal time to head over to the coast, and go South. I discovered the Cabrillo Highway when I lived in Pacifica and now whenever I need to clear my chakras, I jump on the Bay Bridge, head over the hill to Highway 1 and drive towards Half Moon Bay. This past Sunday, it was a balmy 80 degrees out and not a cloud in sight. A perfect Sunday starts at Johan's place in San Gregorio, where fishermen, surfers and locals come together to drink Scott's famous made-to-order Bloody Mary's and "blasters," a dangerous mix of Red Bull and Jagermeister. Brrr....I get the chills even thinking about it. With the Raider game as a backdrop, the Bloody's were flowing, along with tales of Costa Rica, Mavericks, and a crab season that has been precarious because of price disputes between crabbers and buyers.
I can usually be entertained with these characters for at least a couple of hours, which is plenty of time to enjoy a couple of bloody's and the famous grilled crab sandwich, which will set you back about $12, but it's well worth it.
After Johann's, I headed back up the coast, passing some amazing vistas and scores of people in their bathing suits, in the water! No wet suit required on this day. If I had provisions, would have surely descended the stairs to my little nude beach, but that deserves a whole day and truth be told, it's just not tanning season. I did manage to hike for an hour up on the cliffs just south of Montara. I used to take my little doggie Cleo there almost every day after the radion show and I got a little emotional thinking about her. Oh well...life moves on, and so did I...back North and home to the hills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home