My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Avignon



Here I am at one of those frustrating French computers once again...the keyboards are all over the place so I have to peck away and it takes forever! Anyway, I am currently in Avignon in the Provence region of France, slightly Northwest of Nice. It's your typical fortified European town with the obligatory castle, cobblestone streets and outdoor cafès. It has a papal history dating back to the 1200's and before that, a place for sailors to gamble and reunite with their favorite "special" lady....of the night. Legend has it, the term "Red Light" originated here. Legend also has it that the popes were all required to live in Rome after this period because they may have been dabbling in the debauchery.

I've been able to relax a little here and regroup for Spain as I am quite certain that I won't be sleeping in Barcelona and Valencia will be a total beachy blur from detoxing and sunning myself at the topless beach! When I was in Nice I was able to download photos in advance and go back in to edit and add stories so they will end up in order but I won't be posting in order because Paris requires a LOT of detail and Nice et, al was just a blast and requires some special attention as well. Oh, and Lauterbrunnen and the Swiss Alps...mamma! So I will try to catch up at a better computer and I also left my notebook in my room and there is a crazy lockout from 2 to 5 p.m.

This has been a couple of fun days, I got a bed for 10 euro per night at a campground and will no doubt need the money save as I have just spent $1000 on booking tours and accomodation for the next 6 weeks. And, of course, LA Bartha is going to cost a LOT! Oh well, that is why I am here I guess. I also hooked up with a few fun folks at the campground. Jen, a divorced mother of two who went on Busabout with here daughter for 5 weeks...totally cool chick from OZ, raised in Malaysia, boarding school in Scotland. Puts me to shame! Then, 2 Canuks... Andy the teacher who will literally talk to anyone! He is like a force of nature, quite kooky and yet loveable. Next we have Mike from Vancouver, 18, just out of high school, totally green and just muddling through from town to town getting ripped off but having the time of his life. Markus from Schwiez and two German dudes are biking around Europe and then Sara and Fabio, a brother sister duo from a tiny town in the Italian Alps. We threw down a few at the Irish Pub last night and said our good bye's this morning.

Off to BarTHElona manana...probably will be M.I.A. until Valencia. ADIOS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home