My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Bloody Hell!


I was hoping this post would be entitled "London Baby...YEAH!" Alas, not today. Today I started my big trip with bad luck, bad form and just bad news all around. Turns out, because of a family emergency and subsequent mis-communication, Mindy didn't show up to London, I never got the message and when I showed up at the Ritz to check it, they had no record of either of us having made a reservation. I pretty much got tossed out of there with all of my bags, and sat on the corner of Picadilly and Arlington all red-faced and looking like a complete dufus. This is all during rush hour, so I was totally annoying everyone trying to walk past my duffle/backpack ensemble. So, no sleep, no place to go and no idea what to do...of course, I rang my darling Murphy and he came right to the rescue. I'm now sitting next to good ol' Bers in the Reuters building near Grenwich...this was after I dragged my crap on the Tube from Central London. Of course, I sat in the park and stared at Buckingham Palace for a half an hour. I wonder if the Queen would get chucked out of the Ritz? Nah, didn't think so. I would have booked a hostel too, but I just didn't know. First major lesson learned on this trip so far? NEVER rely on anyone to book your accomodation. If so, get a confirmation number and still have a back up. Thank Goodness for Murphy. I still haven't slept and probably won't for a while but there should be a pub around the corner so I can at least have a pint while I figure out my next move!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home