My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Friday, April 21, 2006

The Eagle Has Landed


It always makes me feel like a little girl again when I come to Florida where my mom and Gran live, along with my cousins, aunties and uncles. This is where I was born and where I spent the majority of time before the 2nd grade. So, after a sleepy red-eye flight from SFO to Orlando, I was promptly greeted by my Uncle Frank and Auntie Nancy. Frank flew jets in the Air Force before he flew commercial jets. He's retired now. After a breakfast of grits and eggs, we drove the hour out to the family "compound" in Oxford, just about 20 minutes from Ocala. Here is where Gran lives, surrounded by 3 of her daughters and 4 if you count Auntie Terry who just moved out from Idaho last year. Anyway, it's a fun time to hear all the stories about when I was young, what I was up to, who babysat me, etc. I guess everyone is coming out on Sunday to see me off and that will be nice. I promised my mom if/when I go to Europe I would stop here first and frankly, it's kind of fun. I don't have much family out West...just a smattering of cousins in Idaho and of course my dad and sister out in Modesto area. They must be so glad I'm gone, I totally took over the house, the computer, the pool, the laundry, the kitchen and my poor car is still sitting in the driveway, waiting to be fixed (or vandalized again, whichever comes first.) I wasn't really able to blog all that much at dad's house because we were busy downloading my I-pod (thanks Mr. B) and downloading pictures onto Kodak gallery, and packing/running errands, etc. I'll have more time here at mom's for that and I'm teaching her how to upload photos so that I can have some graphics while I post. I figure if I can meet people with cell phone cameras, I can get some updated graphics. If nothing else, I have a few archives that should fill the space. I'm going to lay out my stuff and get a packing list together and then bless the backpack with my new St. Anthony medallion so hopefully, I won't lose everything. More later on life with dad, Kate and life after Cali.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home