My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Today...










Today. What a great day! It was my second day off in a row, which most Tuesdays are. Nothing really that special to report. Only a minor frustration which, as they should, prompted me to think outside the box.




See, I have to wear a tie to work, which I hate. I'm sorry, but women are not meant to wear ties! But, it is a part of the Steakhouse tradition, so I comply. Only the skinny ties look normal on me because I am not that big and I have no Adam's apple to contend with. So, I went to H & M to buy ties and was going to take them to a tailor to fix. Long story very short, Andres Georges the French tailor on Sutter street was not too keen to shorten my tie, even though he said he would on the phone. I went back to H & M to find some skinny ties and instead, some skinny guy said they had no skinny ties. Frustrated, I went outside and decided to catch the cable car from Union Square to my house. When the cable car approached outside of Saks, the conductor told all of us to return to the Powell Street turnstile and wait in line. "I just wanna go home," I announced. "Get on the back honey," said the conductor. And off I went.




On the back I met Ben, a 20-year veteran cable car operator, who not only let me ride for free, but informed me that if I got a $45 MUNI fast-pass, I could ride the buses and cable car anytime for the entire month! Jeez, that is awesome, because the cable car stops right outside of my apartment and goes all the way to Union Square through Chinatown. I can hop aboard anytime I want and be downtown in minutes! Plus, I can ride the bus anytime to work, downtown, to North Beach, Ocean Beach, Richmond, Golden Gate park, etc! I reckon I will make up for it in about 2 weeks, since the bus is $1.50 and the cable car is $5 one-way. It's $10 for a cab just one-way downtown! So, while I make this short story incredibly and arduously long, going through the tie debacle inspired this entire lesson in SF public transport! I promptly went to Cole's Hardware today and bought myself a MUNI fast-pass and now I'm set until August... Oh, and as for the tie situation. I went on-line and bought 5 ties at $7.95 each, and they will be delivered to my door next week. I guess I will have to take the cable car to H & M and return those big, fat ties! HA! I win!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home