My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Bridal Veil Falls

We left the East Bay around noon on Friday, thinking we would get there in plenty of time to grab our permits for the overnight camp stay in Little Yosemite Valley and the mood in the car was over the top. We were singing our annoying 70's rock ballads from Journey and Van Halen, inhaling Jumbo Ranch Sunflower seeds and calling the Dome all kinds of names unfit for a PG movie. Apparently, this was going to weaken the rock so it would be easier to climb.
The week before, Mel conquered the aisles at REI and stocked up with a new stove, a back back and other supplies. I borrowed and begged for most of my gear, including a day pack from Kris Peterson, my friend Heather's hubby. That was a bad move, I would later discover, and contrary to poplar belief, size DOES matter. ( A pack should definitely fit properly.) I did manage to get a new pair of TEVA hiking boots and a Camelback water carrier. I also bought some freeze-dried food, Powerbars and jerky. At least, I thought, I would have a decent last meal before I plunged to the neverworld.
As we pulled in to the Valley, Mel ran into the camp store to pick up the permit to camp overnight. I was in the car day dreaming, half-crazed and trying to talk myself into running out of the car and hitch-hiking to the Ahwahnne Lodge for Bloody Mary's while I came up with a good excuse to flake out. After all, this was 12,000 feet give or take. It's that big, beautiful monster in the postcards and Ansel Adams photos. Only crazy people do this, right? It was no use. I couldn't wuss out because I would never hear the end of it and...well, it would eventually make a great story.
If climbing to the top in two days sounded daunting, Melissa's next announcement was downright insane.
"We were supposed to reserve a spot ahead of time for the Valley..." Gulp. Perhaps this was my opportunity to weasel out? "But, you better not weasel out!" she said. Crap.
So, we decided to do the entire thing in a day. We rented one of those tent-cabins in the Village, watched a video of bears tearing off car doors, and after a hearty meal of freeze-dried beef something of other, we settled in for an early night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home