My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Italy, Greece and Internet Issues

I am currently in Athens, Greece. It is a massive, sprawling city where the national pastime is to honk at eachother as loudly as possible. I went to the Acropolis today and some lady yelled at me for taking a picture of my chicken. Yep, welcome to Greece! At least in Germany where I don't speak the language, I could read the alhpabet. Alas, Greek sounds very similar to Italian so I have picked up on a few things, but so far, it really is all Greek to me.

I wrote a massive post about Ireland, even published some photos but I hit a glitch in the system and it all floated out into cyberspace. But, to move on at least past my last post from 2 weeks ago, I am posting anew and while it will be short, it is at least fresh.

I am in so much passionate love with Venice. Can't explain, but the city, the view, teh vibe and the MEN! Can't get enough and I am going back after Greece for a few more days because I am addicted. Had 2 free gondeliere rides, including one that floated by Christina Aguilera eating dinner, and took a speed boat ride at midnight that resulted in a skinny dip under the moon! Won't ever forget that one, and I think it is the top five most memorable moments of the last 5 months so far.

Getting to Athens was a different story. I took the cheap route, which involved a 20-hour ferry ride from Ancona to Patras, a 3 hour bus ride from Patras to Athens, and then a navigation of the Athens public transit system that would have made Magellen want to put his head in a wood chipper. Suffice to say, what would have been a 3 hour plane ride took about 27 hours. HOWEVER, I have a great story of sleeping on the deck, playing cards with the United Nations of Ghetto dwellers and trying to find the hostel with Lisa and Kobe, two Aussie girls and Mike from Liverpool, who actually carries an iron in his backpack. VERY metro. Love him.

Ireland was magic, especially the North, and hopefully I can re-cap soon. Saw the pope in Munich...that was crazy. The Germans have public safety down to a tee. Decided that I am going to move heaven and earth to get a job with Busabout. Must live and work in Europe and it seems like a great company to work for.

Off to Mikonos tomorrow, then Paros, Ios and finally Santorini. Still living in denial about the 32 hour ferry ride back to Venice, but this time I will prepare by bringing my own booze and food. LATERS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home