My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Roof with a View






Well, I'm finally settling in to my mew digs here in Cow Hollow. I'm on Franklin Street, just between Broadway and Union...complete with washer and dryer and rooftop view. Today, I can't even see the house next to me, but these photos were taken the day the blue angels dropped by for an air-show, exactly one month ago today. This is just about the amount of time I have been frolicking and flittering about the city like some crazy tourist. I haven't stopped smiling every since. It's a good thing I got a part-time job, because I would have surely squandered all of my savings on fun.


I've already made a few new friends, mostly the local bar-keeps, since this is the way that I find work. I went to the Bus Stop on Union Street the first few days I was here, and met Paulie, a BeanTown transplant who then introduced me to Howie, another Bostonian and local bartending legend. Howie turned me on to Ottimista, a trendy Italian wine bar on Union, between Laguna and Octavia and I have been working there ever since. It's pretty challenging, because Italy has over 1000 varietals of grape, and compared to California's 60, it can be pretty daunting. But, the crowd is great and super nice, despite the whole "Marina" reputation of being snobby. I have had more pleases and thank-you's from guests than I can remember.


I am going to be looking for a second job soon, first I have to clear up my court issues, and I supposed that the next blog has to be a red flag warning to all of you thinking about drinking and then trying to drive. It will mess up your entire life for at least a year, and dash plans that you may have had for months. My DUI prevented me from going to Europe, and cost me around $8000. Now, all those shifts I worked day and night to save all that money are really for nothing except paying off a bad decision. SO DON'T DO IT PEOPLE! I'm begging you. Although, on the bright side, I am living in one of the greatest cities on Earth, and never would have otherwise. So, bad decisions and crappy luck can turn into positives if you try your best to see them.


Sadly, Howie, my guardian angel, is leaving for a while. This 53 year-old bald jewish man, who has looked after me since my arrival, is taking off for warmer weather. I have a bit of a crush on him, I must admit, but just like me, he is a free spirit and has to fly. Oh well, birds of a feather.......

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home