My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Final 48







The last night in Pee Pee, I ended up slicing my foot on a nail that was protruding from the wooden stairs leading up to the dungeon. (Stop worrying worriers, I have all my shots, including Tet.) So, I left a nice trail of blood all over my room, and contemplated finding a 7-11 or just McGuyvering my way through emergency repair. I rinsed off cut with ghetto bidet, found some Crest White Strips, which are loaded with peroxide, and used the rest of the toilet paper to bind wound. Ran to the pharmacy the next morning and properly mended cut.

Again, went to see Winnie until the ferry and paid some guy to carry my bag to the pier. Mostly, because I could.

Slept throughout the two-hour ferry ride to Patong and felt a second surge of energy, although I was looking like a dufus because I had on one of my cute sundresses and my Ecco shoes. Couldn't wear flip-flops due to bandage/cut situation. Not sexy at ALL! I found my driver and he loaded my duffel into the back and had me sit in the front seat, right in the middle. I figured I was the last one on the van so I spread out and decided to take a serious nap. Just as I was about to splay myself all over the front seat, the van door opens and I'm pretty sure I heard angels singing because getting in right beside me was a gorgeous man with auburn hair/3 day auburn growth attached to an equally gorgeous face and fit and I started to have a panic attack on the spot. I contemplated saying something but couldn't get the words out. I started to get the courage up to say the usual "where are you from" and prayed on all things holy it would be anywhere but Sweden.

"I'm from Sweden, my name is Magnus."

Of course. Of bloody course you are and it is and I knew I was in deep doo-doo. Next thing he was going to tell me that he was 40.

"And I'm 40."

Right.

Anyway, turns out he was with his buddy Roger traveling and what not, and they were nice enough to take me out that night to a tradition Swedish dinner (Scandi's all over, still!) and actually treated me. So far from the bucket-wielding, jump-roping, up-chucking teen-fest of Pee Pee. Was starting to get my groove back in spades. Walked on beach, do the math.

The next day I had to catch a cab then a plane back to Bangkok, so packed it up, said good bye to Priew Wan and headed to Phuket Int'l Airport.

Airport/flight was relatively painless, but was feeling the cut/lack of sleep/sun/beer/etc. and was looking forward to a nice quiet evening back at Sukhumvit 23. I booked the same hotel and knew the lay-out of the neighborhood. I contemplated Koh San Road but thought better of it. The cab ride from the airport seemed unusually long, but it was a Saturday afternoon and took about half the time of my original Friday afternoon rush-hour ride. I finally arrived at Citadines, paid the cab, checked-in and collapsed on my bed.

Planning an early one, but undeterred and determined to go and have on last look. Still in the dress from the night before, I threw on my flip flops and headed out. Internet, dinner, bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide and a couple of beers with the girls at Tilac and then early bed, air-con and HBO.

As I approached Tilac, Mamasan and the girls all ran up to hug me, then showed me to a seat at the outdoor bar, where I could watch Denmark play Thailand in exhibition footy. "Perfect," I thought. "A bit a footy, a couple of cold ones and beddy-bye!"

Right. This is me we are talking about. ME! Guess what happens next?

I look to my left, and yet again, a gorgeous, tall red-head sitting there toggling between smiling at me and watching the match.

"What's in the bag?"

"Peroxide, I cut my foot in Pee Pee."

Meet Ben the corrupter. From Denmark. Tall, fit, blue-eyed Ben who looked about 25 and of course, was a wonderful, gorgeous 40.

The next thing I know he is on the phone calling all of his friends and trying to talk me into going out with them and as it was my last night in Bangkok and I will surely sleep when I die, I said "Sure."

Now, I have at least 5 new ex-pat friends in BKK, people to stay with and go-out with and that, my friends, is the beauty of travel. Thanks Bangkok Ben! MUAH!
As I completed my journey, in and out of airports back to SFO I realized something for the first time. I had finally, FINALLY realized how wonderful it felt to be in my 40's. I've never been ashamed or lied about my age...never had to really. But, something changed this trip. I have no idea what, why, how, etc. I feel so at ease in my own skin. Although, I don't feel comfortable with the extra 20 pounds that have appeared over the last few years, but that's just something easily removed. More to the point, I'm finally OK with my choices. I'm great being single. I love my independence. I'm thirsting for more but no longer searching for excuses as to who I am or why I do what I do. Could have been the air, the Buddhist vibe, or just being back on the road. I wasn't really searching for anything profound, but something found me. My mojo...my groove. And it came back with a vengeance.
It's time to finish that book.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 10, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home