My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Say It Ain't So...

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage." ~Mark Twain, 1865

Well, the time has come. I have left the sanctity of my crazy life in Europe. Got on a plane yesterday from Heathrow and now I am back at mom's house here in FLA... A bit shell-shocked, culture-shocked and just all-around shocked, but am determined to start a new life in Europe, hopefully as a tour guide, English teacher or renegade warrior. First I must deal with the reality of bills, responsiblity and a J-O-B. Ick.

My flight from London was incredible, in fact, it was the best one that I have had in long time. Trust me, take Air India anytime you can from Europe to the States. The crew was amazingly nice, the Heneken was free, and it didn't even smell like curry! They were late, however, so I missed my connection in Chicago and poor mom and Auntie T had to pick me up and we didn't get home until after midnight. Oh well, that's travel for ya!

Going to do some proper laundry, eat some of my favorite foods and go to visit Gran at some point today. I'm here until Sunday, then I am off to Cali until the following weekend, then I'm going to Vegas. Must wean myself away. Thinking about Venice in January...crazy I know, but must go and see my Gondo again, he invited me right as I was leaving and well, can't say no to Eros. Ever.

Anyway, will spend the next few months getting my bank account up to par, researching tourism jobs, and may apply to a program in SF that trains tour managers. (Thanks for the tip, Alex!) Also hoping to apply to Backroads, a company out of Berkeley who handle tours in the U.S. and Europe...wish me luck.

I was just looking at the pictures of the chicken and I miss that little guy...ugh.

Mom's computer will not allow me to download my photos without considerable strain so I have to wait until I get home. Until then, the gypsy keeps moving...LATERS!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gina, what an amazing trip you've been on! See you in Cali, soon. Probably at Chow! I want to hear all about your adventure. And, BTW, seeing those pictures of you in Greece tells me you are very at home there. It was made for you!

December 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home