My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Holidazed...




Ahhh...my first Christ-mas in San Francisco. I have to say it hasn't made me quite so annoyed this year, although my day out with Lola was bittersweet. See, it's a year ago this day, the 10th, that I came home from Europe. I tried not to think about it too much, there's really no point. I just have to think about the future and will myself to get back to normal and start traveling again. Wow, this year took so much out of me, sometimes I feel like I don't have anything left. But, hey, we all get that way...especially this time of year. I know I'm not the only one who went through it in 2007...and that at least makes me feel a little bit better about things. Only 20 more days until 2008...which will be my best year yet.


I decided to make it an annual tradition to meet Lori in the city for shopping, gossip and lunch. This was the first of many to come. We started out in Union Square, where we trolled for skin-care samples until we were completely annoyed at the pushy sales people in the make-up departments and decided just to admire all the beautiful clothing in the windows that I can't afford. Around 2, we headed up to Rose Pistola where darling Howard was working behind the bar, and treated us to a sip of champers and a chocolate cake for Lola's birthday. He didsn't know that she is allergic to chocolate, but it's cool because it was more for me and he didn't hesitate to help us finish! Yum. It was a really fun, relaxing day. We could have fun in a padded cell together...we always do! Happy Birthday Lola...


The rest of the holidays are kind of a drag because I lost a shift at work...don't know how that happened, I feel like I have been doing well there, my sales are high, the guests seem to like me and I haven't lit the place on fire yet. Rumor has it that one of the girls that used to work there needed some holiday money so I am the sacrifical lamb. Great. I just decided to make it my full-time job to get a full-time job. I put in a few applications this week, and haven't heard back from anyone. Reminds me of the Montreal days. I was down to my last $5 and eating rice and beans when I landed the Bar-B-Barn gig, which changed everything. I realized then that I can do anything. It gets a little harder as one gets older, but I can't give up. Just can't.


I still feel like I don't really fit in yet, and while my only friend here, Howie, is always calling to make sure that I am okay, he never really has time to hang out with me so I have been pretty lonely of late. I did meet a cool girl named Jenna and we are trying to find a time to hang out soon. My DUI classes are every Tuesday until March, and to be honest, they aren't so bad. The people are so cool there, and really understand what I am going through. I suppose I should get my arse in gear and blog that whole adventure. It really has changed my life and I am hoping that when all is said and done, it will be for the better.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home