My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

YELP!

This is a rant about the website "YELP." For those of you who don't know, YELP is a website that allows average people to review restaurants, nightclubs, retail outlets and other establishments. For the most part, the reviews are impartial, honest, fair and accurate. Since I used to write reviews for the newspaper and also do TV reviews for KRON TV, I understand the nuances of the whole process. But, for the record anyone and I mean ANYONE can review any place, any time. Your granny, your stalker and even your dog. Hell, it could even be the drunk at your bar. So, they can't be taken seriously all of the time. Sadly, many employers and owners take these literally and it can really affect someone's status on the employee food chain. Things like "oh the bartender had a nice ass." Gee, thanks, while that helps one's ego immensely, it does nothing for the standing of the place. Another example, someone mentioned that Izzy's recieved a 42 on a SF Department of Health inspection...(as did several OTHER Marina restaurants.) What this A-hole blogger FORGOT to mention is two-fold.

First, we were inspected several times over the last few years and received scores in the 90's. Then all of the sudden, we drop to a 42. That simply means that the department had some serious malfunctions......... Secondly, we were told what to improve upon, worked our asses off to engage in such improvements and then got a 94! A hard-earned 94. No one bothered to mention this for quite some time and I think someone that works for us had to do it which compermises the integrity of YELP all-together.


On a personal note, some douche....oops, I mean dude named "Allan B." recently complained about the two "female bartenders" at Izzy's because we were discussing a tipping situation in front of other guests. While I would like to say that Mr. B. is absolutely correct in being offended and it is unprofessional to mention these matters aloud, what he failed to understand was that we weren't really complaining about the tippers but the SYSTEM which taxes us based on what we sell. So I have to pay the government every time someone buys something from me. In essence, if you buy $100 worth of food and drink from me, and don't tip, I pay 8% anyway, then I have to tip out, so I looooooooooooooose money. Furthermore "Allan" a bar is a different place than a table. We talk, and that is why people sit there. So, "Allan," the next time you want to complain, get your facts straight. And, "Allan," on behalf of all the "female bartenders" at Izzy's, you are MORE THAN WELCOME to only sit at the bar when ERIC is working. BE MY GUEST! DO IT! I BEG YOU! laters............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home