My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Ullapool




SUPRISE!

As we pulled away screaming our theme song, Chloe announced that because the weather was so exeptionally beautifl, we were going to go and find a beach somewhere and have a picnic! A first for the Haggis tour bus, Neil and Chloe were perhaps even more excited than we were, but a picnic on a sunny beach in the Highlands sounds like a good plan anyday. We all pitched in £5, went to the store and stocked up on goods before heading to one of the most famous castles in all of Scotland.

EILEAN DONAN CASTLE

Eilean Donan Castle is famous for many reasons, it's history, it's beauty and the fact that it was the central figure in the movie "Highlander." Demolished by the British government forces in 1719 it was later bought and rebuilt to nearly exact replication in the early 20th century. Interestingly enough, it is still a working castle and the MacRae family still live there in the old servant's quarters. Take the tour! It's worth the £3.40, especially when you see the kitchen.

CHICKEN LITTLE

It was at this point I was starting to get frustrated about my camera situation. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my new fancy camera doesn't work like my old crappy one because I can't get my head into the lense without taking away the background. My whole idea of taking my own photo with monuments was crumbling before my eyes. However, when I mentioned this to Bill Curren, a sixty year old Aussie dude traveling with us, he told me that I should find something and take it's photo. That way, I don't have to worry about being in the picture but I can prove I was there. That is when the idea of Chicken Little was born. So, from here out, I decided to take my little chicken mascot with me and use it as a model. It has become one of the best ideas so far and you will see why when I post the photos. Thanks Bill!

PICNIC

In true Haggis style, we grabbed our food, about 30 cans of Tennant's and hiked down to a gorgeous beach along the way. It was swimsuit weather I tell you, and one of the best parts of the trip. Of course, Neil busted out his guitar and he and Canadian Dave Allen were serenading all of us once again. Amazing and frankly, didn't want to leave! But, we had to make tracks and head up to Ullapool for our footy re-match and a pint.

ULLAPOOL

Ullapool is a sleepy little fishing village on the North West coast above Inverness. It's clean and quiet with modern conveniences and old charm. Our hostel wwas right near a campground, around the corner from the pier and close to pubs and restaurants. After a shower, I joined Neil, Chloe, Pete and Spikey for a pint and then the rest of the group saunters up and reminds us of the footy rematch. I thought it was off because the soccer fields were closed, but a challenge is a challenge so we all agreed to meet at the primary school down the street. Chloe and I still had beer left over, so we stayed behind and hung with Spikey for a few then changed and headed off. Unfortunately, we were lost in a matter of minutes and let me tell you never ask an Ullapudlian for directions because NO ONE KNOWS!!! We finally show up to the school only to find 50 little kids running around playing footy so we walk and look and walk and look and no sign of our group! So, we went to the nearst fish and chips shop and sat on the pier eating fried food and listening to Spikey's stories about Pamplona and Oktoberfest. Back to the pub and there was the group, all hot and sweaty accusing us of chickening out! Right. Turns out, they went to a totally different locale and neglected to send a scout to tell us. Oh well, Aaron ended up really messing up his knee so maybe it was better I took it easy. While we enjoyed our last pint of the day, about 35 little kids came in with traditional highland instruments and played a little concert...right in the PUB! Then, more musicians and before we knew it, we were AGAIN being randomly serenaded by locals. It was grand I tell you! Another great day on the Haggis bus and ready for Loch Ness in the morning! LATERS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home