My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

FOOTY!

I knew being in Europe during the World Cup was going to be fun, but I had NO IDEA how much fun! Ever place I go, there is a giant screen TV set up in the town square and hundreds of people show up to support their side or just revel in the game. Last night, I went to the main cathedral in old town here in Salzburg to watch Brasil and Croatia play their first match. Imagine, a medeival cathedral, a beautiful lit-up fountain about 30 feet high, an old helicopter (don't know?) a giant screen, full moon, 80 degree weather and hundreds of fans from all over the world! I mean, it was like a United Nations convention with a beer garten...In true form, the Brasilians showed up with drums, dancers and flags which pretty much happens everywhere they play. What I didn't expect is the Croatian contingency to blaze in with full face paint and red and white checkered jerseys, singing Croatian anthems at the top of their lungs. It was the kind of experience you can't buy in a gift shop or see on a sight-seeing tour. I can't wait until tonight, Germany is playing Poland so I have to get there early otherwise I will get lost in a sea of tall people.

Today I am off to explore more of the city, the hostel offers a tour of the ice caves which sounds very tempting, but I am trying not to push matters and I think a hike might not be the best idea. (Which is quite sad because hiking is literally one of my favorite things to do!) I guess they take you on a tram to the top of the Alps and then you go into these ice caves and hike through for about an hour. UGH. Oh well.

Looks like I will be going back to Prague after all, to lie low for a couple of weeks and save money. They also have the footy in the town square and The Czechs are doing well in their division, they just beat the crap out of the U.S. a couple of days ago so I didn't have to face that humiliation live and in person. They are in the same division, but won't play eachother again. I'm also toying with the idea of going to Krakow, Poland for a few days before Berlin, it's supposed to be amazing, and cheap which is on my agenda these days. I blew way too much in London and Scotland so I need to conserve so I can keep traveling throughout the summer and beyond.

Off to have a beautiful coffee in a beautiful outdoor cafe' and enjoy this beautiful day! LATERS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home