My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Life in Prague

It's been a week now that I am back in Prague and it definitely has it's hooks in me. It's big enough to be interesting but small enough that I keep running into the same people all the time. The staff here at the A & O Hostel have become like family, and I have met some wonderful locals as well. I also met the coolest guy from Montreal of all places and he has been a great help in guiding me through the city and making sure I am looked after. Merci! I am taking it easy today, footy fever is at a high pitch and the town square becons daily. Tomorrow I am going to try and be responsible and buy my train ticket to Berlin, get a transport pass and start looking through my calendar to book the next leg of my tour.

I found a great bar/club in Old Town called the Chateau and have made a few friends, gotten into a few heated political discussions and guided some American students around to cool spots. (Of course, the political discussions usually mean that I am on the same side as those talking to me about things, but I just say "I have no choice, people! Sorry!")

What I love about the Footy is that there are literally 25 different languages being spoken around the Old Town Square, but everyone understands the game and it is a common denomonator that brings everyone together. I love it. It's making my Euro experience that much richer. For example, when Australia played Croatia, I was in a pub with about 100 mental Aussies and about 20 Croatian teenagers. As loud and obnoxious as the Aussies can be, the Croat kids had them hands down. As I looked at these kids, all were about 15-18 years of age, I realized that they were all born out of war and the passion with which they sang and cheered gave me goose bumps and made me realize how lucky we are and how resiliant human beings can me. I loved them and it was a moment I wish I had my camera! Crap, oh well. It's not really a good idea to run around with a camera when you are alone at night...just begging for trouble.

So, off to watch England play Equador, then Holland and Portugal after. Should be fun. Off to bed after that and up early to be a grown-up! (Hard as it is!) LATERS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home