My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Friday, June 30, 2006

A Confederacy of Dunces

It's still raining here, but at least it has cooled off! I'm back in my red shoes and still trying to locate some baking soda. I think I need to start over with new socks or just soak them in bleach for a couple of hours. Good times...

Yesterday, I was sitting here in Bohemia Bagel, the first proper internet cafe I have found, when Otto appeared out of no where with a book! We had been talking about this book over lunch and it was so highly recommended by people back home before I left but I balked at the idea because I didn't want to carry a book around. So, this little gem, this magical offering kept me up all night and I have been reading ever since. Should be done in time for the footy match to start in a couple of hours so I can return it, but if any of you get the chance, please read it. It's "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole and it will have you in absolute stitches for hours. Thanks Otto, you're a peach!

I sprang for a good meal last night, Timo and Gary let me have the last steak and it was marinating in merlot and garlic all day. A few yukon gold potatoes and cucumber tomato salad and I was in heaven. I haven't had red meat since I left, well not in less you count the endless streams of kebabs, which may not even qualify as "The Other White Meat" but it's a dream nonetheless. Why don't we have kebabs in San Francisco? If we do, I've been missing them because I will once again live on them when I get to Berlin. (Sorry Prague, your kebabs are absolute crap!) I definitely miss cooking, I am pining for a good cooking session, with fresh ingredients, etc, but there is no kitchen at the A & O so I just settle for soup and rice, and once in a while splurge on Chinese noodles or a meal downstairs, which is kind of spendy in comparison, but worth it. My hangar steak cost me 160 krown, which is roughly $8.00 US dollars. Not bad. It's not CHOW, but it will do. I do miss the food at CHOW. I would try to cook at Otto's place, but I am scared of his kitchen. Really, I'm certain things are growing in there, but I can't be sure because I refuse to even go in there. Anyway, nights back at the hostel are a comfort and I can cook when I get back to Murphy's in 2 weeks.

Off to Chateau to meet up with Otto and friends to watch Germany/Argentina and to be honest, I know my English friends will hate this, but I hope Germany wins because Argentina are 1) Cocky, dirty, cheaters and I am sick of them and Diego Maradonna. And, B) If Germany wins this one, they have a chance against Italy or Ukraine and the party in Berlin will be so much better if Germany can pull it off. Of course, I am going for the Dark Horse Ukraine, because I like underdogs and they are hot!

I'm staving off my laundry until the last minute, but washing my knickers in the sink is getting old and frankly, I need a better sink! I also blew it by not packing a laundry line and I have lost another one of my travel locks but there is a TESCO here and desperate times call for desperate measures. I am going to have to walk into that evil empire and make a few purchases! Baking soda, batteries, new socks, travel gear and well, a belt because, despite my grotesque beer habit, my pants are all falling off due to the fact that I am also walking everywhere and losing a bit of weight. I bought a belt in Munich which was absolute crap, it started crumbling into dust about 5 days after I bought it. I guess that is what $5 Euro will get you.

I guess that's all for now, please go pick up "Confederacy" and laugh out loud! There is more footy tomorrow then a few days break so I am actually going to try and get to either the Bone Church, or just visit another section of the city. Hope it stops raining, but beggars can't be picky.

LATERS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home