My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

PIVO...Proshim!

BEER...please.
These words go along way in my world at the moment. But, when you consider that a beer costs about .85 cents US, it's just hard to pass up! I have managed to make friends with a few locals here, the barmaid at the Sports Bar next to the hostel loves me, I tip her about 5 crown with each pivo and she loves me. I have also been at Chateau most evenings to watch the footy, but there was no match on last night so I ended up meeting Otto and some friends of his for a rousing hour of live Cuban music. Haven't really done much the last couple of days, it's finally cooled down because of the rain and now my new challenge is to get rid of the swamp foot invading my coveted red shoes. I need some baking soda but I am here to testify that there isn't a single box in the entire Czech Republic. My clothes smell like a combination of old socks and cigarettes and to get to the laundry mat is 5 metro stops and 4 blocks which normally would be fine but then there is the dragging of the laundry bag so I am going to have to schedule a whole day for that. Remember, in Prague...one errand a day is a huge accomplishment. Today my one errand has been to find a good internet cafe and post a blog. Wow, it's exhausting! Hehehehe.

Been hanging out with Otto a lot, he's a cool cat and is from here so it's nice to know a local because one turns into two and so on. Met his friend Uri today, they work in production doing TV, commercials and also movies. I'm going to see if I can make some contacts for them back in the states. If nothing else, I have a few new friends here in Prague for when I come back.

I'm definitely having footy withdrawl, but the matches are on tomorrow again so I can start to read "A Confederacy of Dunces" tonight and feel like I am accomplishing something quasai intellectual. I am in Old Town, Praha 1 right now, and it's a slight haul back to the hostel with this backpack, so I guess I'll just take my time and stroll or sit in a park and start my book.

Finally watched the damn clock in Old Town Square today, I kept wondering why all these people would gather at the hour and stare at the side of a building but this is a special clock which was made...uh, well, better google that, but anyway at the hour these windows open and figurines of the 12 Apostles sort of appear and scoot around, and then a skeleton bounces up and down and it clangs and bongs and well then it's over. It is actually quite beautiful and I'll bring the chicken and take a photo. I guess, legend has it that the king at the time put the clockmaker's eyes out so he could never reproduce the clock. Yikes, "hey thanks for that clock...clockmaker guy...now we put your eyes out!" I'm pretty sure it was done without anesthesia, but who knows.

Meeting Otto for footy tomorrow night and may scoot out of town this weekend, but then again it's two whole days away and i can't be bothered to figure it out yet!

Oh yeah, happy 70th to my Uncle Jerry from the porch clan in central Florida. Hope you all had a nice party.

Okay off to wander, possibly read my new book and probably have a beer. LATERS!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gina: I am so totally enjoyed your travelog of your wonderful sabbatical. I am the lady customer from Chow, short curly silver hair, had lunch at the bar on your last day before departure. Hope you are planning on a book when you return. Take care of you.
shirley Taliaferro

June 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gina: I am so totally enjoyed your travelog of your wonderful sabbatical. I am the lady customer from Chow, short curly silver hair, had lunch at the bar on your last day before departure. Hope you are planning on a book when you return. Take care of you.
shirley Taliaferro

June 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

correction, "I am so totally enjoying", gads, that previous statement sounded a little Cechish. Shirley Taliaferro

June 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home