My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, Northern Cali

GYPSY: (noun) One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life. The first time I traveled alone I was 4. My mom pinned a note to my dress then put me on a plane from Atlanta to L.A. to visit my dad for the summer. That must have marked the beginning of my insatiable wanderlust because I can't seem to get enough of running away from home. In the mean time, I've spent my life between a career in the media and years in the hospitality industry. My independence has kept me single but that's a part of life when your first love is travel. I've been robbed in Australia and slept on a park bench in Amsterdam, but at the end of the day, I was on the road and that's where I'm most at home.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Postcards from Praha 7

I've never been so hot in my entire life. It's 100 degrees out and there isn't one air conditioner in the entire city! Alas, I am not only a smelly backpacker, but I am now a sweaty smelly backpacker. There is absolutely no way to look cute on the road and I have given up all hope of ever smelling pretty again. I am going to give myself a pedicure today maybe that will help.

Had a bit of a long one yesterday, I walked from my hostel, which is on the north end of town, to city center and old town...VIA...parks, the Castle, the Observation tower (which is like a cheesy Eiffel Tower) and down across the Charles Bridge into Old Town, where Italy beat Australia in the last minute on a penalty kick. It was fun, I was sitting with a bunch of Italians and I understood practically everything so I think I will do well there. I don't like team Italia at all, but at least I won't have to endure "OZZIE OZZIE OZZIE OY OY OY!" anymore. God, it's annoying. Almost as annoying as Aussie men who are getting on my nerves more and more with each passing day. I almost slugged one the other night because he was being stupid and blathering on about rediculous things but I thought better of it and just left. Ugh. Broke the "No Absynthe" oath the night before last but only because it was Gary's 30th and it's just wrong to say no to a birthday. Then, I ended up sitting up all night with Christian while he worked reception and talked about why I don't have a boyfriend. That was rich...until some Aussie guy told us to shut up, and I almost slugged him too because Aussie guys have been keeping me up since i left and I was happy to return the favor!


Pee is for Prague.

Yes, while this is a beautiful city, it smells like urine all over and the heat doesn't help. I got into a phone booth last night to call someone here and almost hurled because of the stench.

Finished up in Old Town with a plate of carbonara and glass of Chianti. Jumped on the 17 tram and thought I would dive into the local bar around the corner for a 12 cent beer and the end of the Ukraine/Swiss match and just as Ukraine won on a penalty shoot out, these Ukranian guys next to me started trying to chat I of course my Russian is a bit rusty...so, they order shots of Vodka to celebrate the win and I think "fair enough...don't want to insult them" and they keep ordering more Vodka and beer and offering me cigarettes and I don't even smoke but don't want to insult them so I am smoking Russian cigarettes and drinking Russian vokda and sitting with two Russian guys laughing at things I can't understand and I finally kissed both cheeks and got the hell out of there! Thank goodness my hostel is a two minute walk otherwise it would have been a bad scene!

Speaking of bad scenes, I'm off to Berlin next Wednesday for the Cup Final and Love Parade. I'm in deep doo doo. Wish me luck!

I had the plan to get all these things done yesterday, but in Prague getting things done means take a whole day to walk around and make a list of the things you need to get done and then maybe get one or two done. I am here for a long while so it's great to just putter around and sit and think about getting things done...I do that a lot here. Today I am going to buy my ticket for Berlin and tonight I have a dinner date with a guy named Otto. He speaks perfect English and works in the movie industry here which apparently is booming. I just want to learn about Prague from a local. Seems really nice. (Yes, mom and dad, I'll be careful) Of course, I had to stipulate that we would watch Brasil play Ghana first and I hope that an upset ensues.


LATERS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home